Sunday, May 28, 2006

What Remains

I haven't had any good thoughts lately. I've been busy with my new job. It's actually nice to not have to sit in one place all day and just think about stuff. I'm much happier.

This will be another plug for a blog I read. This one should be a keeper. I was reading Matthew's stuff a few years ago (during the same time as Real Live Preacher stuff) and reading his thoughts on his own struggle to go to seminary vs. keeping a comfortable job helped me immensly. He stopped blogging for a while but he is back and I would love it if you guys went over and checked him out regularly. He writes and thinks beautifully about the stuff that matters.

What Remains

Someday, your children’s children’s children will drive by what remains of a Barnes and Noble hulking next door to the blasted remains of a Bed, Bath and Beyond. Across the potholed highway will be their fallen mirror images: the debris of a Borders; a leaning and derelict Linens ‘n’ Things.

No one gives any thought to how these things will look a thousand years from now, or even fifty. When Arnolfo di Cambia designed the duomo in Florence–over seven hundred years ago–he knew he was building something that would last. We don’t build things to last, or even to remain for very long. Everything will be abandoned, rebranded, moved along, or quietly disappeared....Read more here

Matthew Sturges' Blog

Enjoy! Maybe one of these days I'll actually write something.

1 comment:

Dan Morehead said...

thanks for this.