Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Psalm 23 v. 2.0

Thanks to Common Grounds Online and fellow Houstonians Ben Young and Glen Lucke for posting this.

From Ben Young's book Out of Control:

Technology is my shepherd; I shall not want.
It makes me lie down in front of the high-definition screen.
It leads me with incessant noise.
It makes me feel significant.
Though I walk through the valley of no cell-phone coverage,
(Can you hear me now?) you are with me.
My Blackberry, my laptop, they comfort me.
You set wireless access before me in the presence of my family.
You anoint my head with Blue Tooth; my e-mail overflows.
Surely Microsoft and Verizon will follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the database forever…

Ben goes on to ask the questions, "Has more and more technology really made our lives easier, as it promises to do? Sure, there are many wonderful ways technology has enhanced the quality of life in the Western world, but what have we sacrificed for it?"

Good questions that I don't think we can ignore. So what do you think? What have we sacrificed for our 'enhanced quality of life'?

No comments: