Sunday, May 21, 2006

A New Law

I know I'm a little slow, but I just got Derek Webb's new(est) album Mockingbird and I have to say it might be his best yet. I've been listening to Derek for over 10 years now. When I was in high school Caedmon's Call used to play at Metro Bible Study (Houston) before they hit it big. If you are familiar with any of Caedmon's music, you will know that Derek has always stood out from the rest of the band in more ways than just his musical ability. His songs, of course, have always been deeper and more honest--much less praise music and more self/god discovery. On stage he only wears white T-shirts (sometimes accompanied by a jacket). My kind of guy.

OK, the CD. It's called Mockingbird. Apparently--and I have no actual evidence of this besides the music itself--Derek was reading a lot of Stanley Hauerwas (among others) during the writing of these songs. I'm sure that I will love it. Here is what Hauerwas himself says about the CD:

In general, I hate Christian rock music. But now I have heard the songs of Derek Webb. Webb’s songs are free of the pietistic sentimentality that usually characterizes popular Christian music. His music, like the Gospel, is at once hard, edgy, and beautiful.

I'm still getting to know the songs, but I wanted to post the lyrics to one of my favorites and include a link to a video.

A New Law

don’t teach me about politics and government
just tell me who to vote for

don’t teach me about truth and beauty
just label my music

don’t teach me how to live like a free man
just give me a new law

i don’t wanna know if the answers aren’t easy
so just bring it down from the mountain to me

i want a new law
i want a new law
gimme that new law

don’t teach me about moderation and liberty
i prefer a shot of grape juice

don’t teach me about loving my enemies

don’t teach me how to listen to the Spirit
just give me a new law

i don’t wanna know if the answers aren’t easy
so just bring it down from the mountain to me

i want a new law
i want a new law
gimme that new law

what’s the use in trading a law you can never keep
for one you can that cannot get you anything
do not be afraid
do not be afraid
do not be afraid

Link to video: http://www.workofthepeople.com/index.php5?ct=store.details&pid=V00044

Enjoy.

The Work of the People is defined by its name. We are a community of artists, storytellers, filmmakers, poets and theologians. Our work is to tell the story we share and to ask poignant questions through film, literature, art and music. We utilize our gifts to create tools for the Church to engage universal spiritual issues through progressive media. We confess that we are created in the image of God and fulfill our calling by creating and recreating to the glory of God


3 comments:

Sarah said...

yo,

I can give you evidence that Derek has been reading Hauerwas - he told me himself :) we caught up with him after a concert a couple of months ago, told him we were students at the div school, and he was really excited - he told us he'd come to the div school again for another concert if asked - I suggested he take a sabbatical there - he said he wished he could!

glad you're listening to mockingbird; I think New Law is my favorite also.
-- sk

Sarah said...

by the way, kc, what do you make of the "do not be afraid" at the end of the song? is it trying to lull us asleep?

is this the sort of case where we really should be afraid but instead we're being pacified (in a bad way)? where what we really need is to fear our ability to settle into comfort and easy answers?

if that's the case, then the repetition of "do not be afraid" over and over again gets a bit chilling; in fact, it actually stirs up some of that fear that we do need.

that's how I've tried to make sense out of it but I was wondering how other people interpreted that line.

The Dude said...

that's a good interpretaion, sarah. I never really thought about it like that.

I guess i think he is saying "do not be afraid of this 'new' way of life that isn't dictated by a law". sort of like lets not be afraid to discuss truth and beauty, politics and government, or live like a free man. the answers we get, as you and I both know, aren't always easy but we shouldn't be afraid of the truth.

or maybe he is speaking it from Jesus' point of view...do not be afraid of the life he's offering even though the answers might be hard and we will have to work through a lot of them ourselves.

any other thoughts?