Monday, April 17, 2006

Regent or Northpark?

I went to Chicago this weekend to look at Northpark Seminary. I liked it. Chicago is great.
I went to Vancouver last July to look at Regent College. I liked it. Vancouver is great.

Northpark is a pretty unique school.
Regent is a pretty unique school.

I think I would be challenged and encouraged to think in new ways at Northpark.
I think I would be challenged and encouraged to think in new ways at Regent.

Northpark

-Has justice issues at the core of the program.
-Centered in and focused on the city
-Because of the denomination it is affiliated with (Covenant) it is an interesting place for theological discussion
-Professors are extremely accessible
-Good and growing reputation in the academic community
-May not be a great place to prepare for Ph.D. programs, although certainly possible

Regent

-Has interdisciplinary studies/engaging culture at the core of the program
-Located on the campus of a major, secular university
-Because it is transdenominational it is an interesting place for theological discussion
-Professors are highly respected
-Good reputation in the academic community
-Probably a good place to prepare for Ph.D. programs

I think that Regent and Northpark stand out among all the Seminary/Graduate schools I have looked at. Most schools that I have looked at are looking to churning out pastors and not looking at the important issues (That’s probably not completely true but it is what I perceive). Northpark and Regent are different in that they want to prepare Pastors (or non-pastors) who think critically about issues that are emerging in our society.

From Regent’s website: Regent College is an international graduate school of Christian studies that educates, nurtures, and equips women and men to live, work and minister in their varied vocations, in ways honouring to God.

Regent isn’t concerned with producing professional ministers. If that is your vocation/calling, then they are concerned with equipping you to live out that vocation fully, but it seems to me that it is more of a secondary issue to them. That is unique. (Plus, they used the English spelling of ‘honouring’ with the extra ‘u’. That is always cool and reminds me of L’Abri.)

From Northpark’s website: We hope to be a bridge between the seminary, the church and the public arena. Challenging all to "Bridge the Gap" of injustice by their choices, their thinking, their work, and their life of Faith in Christ.

No other evangelical seminary address issues of social justice and seeks to integrate it to the life of the church like Northpark.

I do have an idea of which one is the right fit for me but it is a hard choice to make. Thankfully, I feel that I have some freedom from God in the choice. I tend to think very black-and-white about these things but I am learning that it is hardly ever that simple. In this case, both are good choices and I am not sure I can make a ‘wrong’ decision. The hope I have is that no matter what decision I end up making, for better or for worse, God has been guiding me all along whether I am aware of it or not.

Os Guinness once told me, “KC, be an entrepreneur with your life.” There is both freedom and responsibility in our choices. I have the freedom to do anything in the world, but I have the responsibility to use my gifts wisely and with the Kingdom on my mind. I suspect this choice is no different.

I guess we’ll see…

No comments: